|PROSITE documentation PDOC50237
HECT domain profile
The HECT (Homologous to the E6-AP Carboxyl Terminus) domain is an around 350
amino acids motif that has been identified in proteins that all belong to a
particular E3 ubiquitin-protein ligase family . HECT domain containing
proteins accept ubiquitin from an E2 ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme in the form
of a thioester and then transfer it to target proteins. The site of ubiquitin
thioester formation is a conserved cysteine residue located in the last 32-36
aa of the HECT domain . The amino-terminal part of the HECT domain has been
involved in E2 binding . Once linked to ubiquitin, the target proteins are
degraded in the 26 S proteasome.
Some proteins known to contain a HECT domain are listed below:
- Mammalian E6-AP (EC 6.3.2.-). It interacts with the E6 protein of the
cancer-associated human papillomavirus types16 and 18. The E6/E6-AP complex
binds to and targets the p53 tumor-suppressor protein for ubiquitin
- Yeast RSP5 (EC 6.3.2.-). It is involved in the degradation of several cell
- S.pombe pub1 (EC 6.3.2.-). It regulates ubiquitination of cdc25.
- Yeast HUL4 and HUL5 (EC 6.3.2.-).
- Drosophila hyperplastic discs (HYD) protein (EC 6.3.2.-). It is required
for regulation of cell proliferation in imaginal discs and germ cells.
- Mammalian NEDD4 (EC 6.3.2.-). It is involved in the embryonic development
and differentiation of the central nervous system.
- Rat 100 kDa protein (EC 6.3.2.-). This protein may be involved in
maturation and/or post-transcriptional regulation of mRNA.
- Rat UreB1. It contains only a portion of the HECT domain (310 aa), without
any amino-terminal extension. It could be a DNA-binding transcriptional
- Human thyroid receptor interacting protein 12 (TRIP12).
December 2001 / First entry.
PROSITE method (with tools and information) covered by this documentation:
|HECT, PS50237; HECT domain profile (MATRIX)
|Sequences known to belong to this class detected by the profile:
|Other sequence(s) detected in Swiss-Prot:
|Matching PDB structures:
1C4Z 1D5F 1ND7 1ZVD ... [ALL]
||Huibregtse J.M., Scheffner M., Beaudenon S., Howley P.M.
||A family of proteins structurally and functionally related to the E6-AP ubiquitin-protein ligase.
||Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 92:2563-2567(1995).
||Hatakeyama S., Jensen J.P., Weissman A.M.
||Subcellular localization and ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme (E2) interactions of mammalian HECT family ubiquitin protein ligases.
||J. Biol. Chem. 272:15085-15092(1997).
PROSITE is copyright. It is produced by the SIB Swiss Institute
Bioinformatics. There are no restrictions on its use by non-profit
institutions as long as its content is in no way modified. Usage by and
for commercial entities requires a license agreement. For information
about the licensing scheme send an email to
View entry in original PROSITE document format
View entry in raw text format (no links)